Zimolka has big day in PSU loss
- Updated: March 13, 2019
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) had three hits and stole three bases atop the Plymouth State University lineup, but Vassar College scored four times in the eighth to rally past the Panthers, 13-10, in a non-conference baseball game at Terry Park on Tuesday.
Vassar scored twice in the top of the first, but the Panthers’ bats put up a seven-spot in the bottom of the inning. The Brewers chipped away with runs in the second and third innings, before tying the game at 8-8 in the top of the fifth, but PSU pushed two more runs across in the bottom of the inning to regain the lead. Vassar made it a 10-9 with a run in the sixth, then pulled in front with the four-run eighth and Plymouth was unable to rally.
With the setback the Panthers move to 3-3, while Vassar improves to 3-2 on the season.
How it Happened:
- Vassar took an early lead in the top of the first plating two runs on a wild pitch and sacrifice fly, but the Panthers responded in a big way in the bottom of the inning.
- Zimolka started the rally with a single and stolen base and senior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) doubled. The Brewers issued a free pass to senior Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) to load the bases and classmate Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) drove in two with a double.
- A passed ball and sacrifice fly plated to more PSU runs. A hit batter, walk and double steal put two runners in scoring position with two down and junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) drove them both in with a two-run double. Zimolka singled home Salta and stole two more bases to get to third, but Vassar was able to record the final out to escape without giving up another run.
- The Brewers immediately got three runs back in the top of the second on a pair of two-out base hits to cut the deficit to 7-5.
- Vassar made it a one-run game in the third on senior Bryan Rubin’s (Bryn Mawr, Pa.) solo shot.
- Richard reached on a two-base error to lead off the fourth, then moved up to third on a bad pick-off throw, and Goulet drove him in with a sac fly to center to restore the two-run lead.
- The Brewers evened the game at 8-8 in the fifth on a bases loaded, two-run double, but PSU went right back in front in the bottom half. Junior Andrew Salta (Laconia, N.H.) tripled to the gap in right center and sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) was hit by a pitch. Routhier stole second and both runners moved up another base on an error by the Vassar catcher. Zimolka added a two-out RBI single to make it 10-8.
- The Brewers added a single run in the sixth on a wild pitch, then rallied with four runs in the eighth to take the lead for good as the Panthers’ bats went quiet over the final four innings.
Inside the Numbers:
- Zimolka added two RBI and a run scored to his three-hit, three-steal game.
- Goulet (single, walk), Boldwin (double, walk), Andrew Salta (triple, walk) and Routhier (single, walk) all reached base twice.
- Vassar starter Joe Conti (Bloomingburg, N.Y.) got roughed up, allowing six runs on three hits and two walks while recording just one out. The back end of the bullpen was solid, though, as senior Alex Hartnett (Miami, Fla.) and sophomore Patrick Fitzgerald (Phoenix, Md.) allowed just a hit and walk over the final four innings.
- Senior Alex Libby (Freeport, Maine) struck out seven, but allowed six runs (three earned) in his three innings of work, while sophomore JP Somers (Hooksett, N.H.) and junior Alex Larson (Brunswick, Maine) combined to surrender seven runs (five earned) in 4.1. Larson (0-1) took the loss.
- Sophomore Will Austin (Sunapee, N.H.) struck out two in 1.2 clean innings.
- With his three steals, Zimolka is now a perfect 11-for-11 on the base paths.
- The seven first inning runs were the most in an inning for PSU since a seven-run outburst against then-Lyndon State College on May 3, 2017.
- The setback was the Panthers’ first when scoring ten runs or more this season.
- Plymouth State has gotten out to good starts throughout the season as 18 of the team’s 57 runs have come in the first inning.