Zbierski powers SNHU
- Updated: February 23, 2019
When and Where: February 22, 2019 – Myrtle Beach, S.C. (Cal Ripken Experience)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Mercy College 4
Records: SNHU 3-2, Mercy 1-5
Sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) knocked in three runs, senior Joshua Zbierski (Stafford Springs, Conn.) launched a two-run homer and redshirt-junior Endy Morales (Holyoke, Mass.) tossed seven solid innings, as the ninth-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team moved to 2-0 on its South Carolina trip with a 7-4 win over Mercy College on Friday afternoon at the Cal Ripken Experience.
- Henrie went 2-for-3, collected three RBIs and scored a run.
- Zbierski smacked his team leading third home run of the season, finishing 1-for-2 with two walks, a pair of RBI and a run scored.
- Morales (1-1) submitted a quality start with three runs on four hits over seven innings, striking out seven and walking two.
- Senior Hayden Manning (Portland, Conn.) worked around two hits with a strikeout in a scoreless ninth, to earn his first save.
- Junior Phoenix Hernandez (Brooklyn, N.Y.) was 1-for-2 with a pair of walks, an RBI and two runs scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern New Hampshire scored the game’s first run in the top of the first, as junior Tom Blandini (Bow, N.H.) led off with a single and swiped second, before Hernandez went to third on a wild pitch and scored on a Henrie sacrifice fly to left.
- Mercy tied it against Morales in the bottom of the second, with Adonis Garcia starting the frame with a double, advancing to third on a sac bunt and scoring a batter later on a ground out to short.
- SNHU went ahead for good in the fourth, with redshirt-junior Sean Doherty (Haverhill, Mass.) drawing a two-out walk to keep the inning alive, before Zbierski smashed a two-run homer over the fence in left to make it 3-1.
- The Penmen extended the lead to 5-1 in the fifth, with an RBI double from Hernandez and a run-scoring single by Henrie doing the damage.
- The Mavericks scratched the two runs back in the home half, however, as John Mooradian’s one-out, two-run triple trimmed the deficit to 5-3.
- Southern New Hampshire again made it a four-run game with some two-out damage in the seventh, as Henrie delivered an RBI triple and then scored on a wild pitch to stretch the lead to 7-3.
- Mercy got one back in the eighth, with Joseph Sadallah’s two-out, RBI single bringing in an unearned run against the SNHU bullpen.
- Manning allowed back-to-back singles to lead off the ninth, but recorded a punch out and a game-ending 4-6-3 double play to seal it.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) finished 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Sophomore Idelson Taveras (Lawrence, Mass.) walked and scored a run.
- Redshirt-freshman Joshua Eastman (Marshfield, Mass.) gave up one run – unearned – on one hit, while striking out two and a walking one, in his Penmen debut.
- Southern New Hampshire has now hit seven home runs in its first five games of the season.
- Zbierski’s third long-ball of the year is the 13th of his career.
- The Penmen return to action Saturday in their only doubleheader of the Myrtle Beach trip. SNHU takes on Concordia (N.Y.) College at 2 p.m., before meeting Bridgeport University at 5:30 p.m.