- Keene State releases schedule
- Fisher Cats announce game times
- 2022 Watch List: January update
- December Discount available
- NHFS adopts new pitching rule
- Fisher Cats open April 8
- Duval entering first season with NHTI
- Tewksbury to speak in Seabrook
- Futures League releases schedule
- Save $20 on an XTRA Membership
Goulet, Boldwin power PSU
- Updated: March 12, 2019
FORT MYERS, Fla. – Seniors Josh Goulet (Nashua, N.H.) and Ryan Boldwin (Penacook, N.H.) each blasted home runs as the Plymouth State University baseball team split a seven-inning doubleheader with Farleigh Dickinson University-Florham at Player Development Complex on Monday.
Goulet extended his hot start to the season with his fifth bomb of the year as the Panthers took the opener by a 13-8 score. FDU-Florham got revenge in the second game, rallying for three runs in the top of the seventh to win 8-7.
Plymouth State built a 9-2 lead over the first two innings of Game 1. The Devils put up four runs in the bottom of the fifth to make it 10-6, but PSU tacked on three more runs over the final two innings to keep the game out of reach.
Game 2 was a back-and-forth affair. Boldwin’s blast gave the Panthers a 3-0 first inning lead, but Florham scored four times in the third to pull in front, 5-4. PSU tied the game in the fourth and the Panthers went up 7-5 with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth, but the Devils came back with a three-run seventh to steal the win.
With the split the Panthers move to 3-2, while FDU-Florham goes to 3-3.
How it Happened (Game One):
- Plymouth State took advantage of wildness by the Devils’ starter to plate five runs in the top of the first without the benefit of a hit. Junior Jimmy Zimolka (Londonderry, N.H.) walked and stole second, then moved to third on a ground out. Goulet was hit by a pitch and stole second and Boldwin took a walk to load the bases with one out.
- One run came in on a hit batter, another on a fielder’s choice, two on bases loaded walks and another on a wild pitch.
- FDU-Florham got two runs back in the bottom of the inning following a PSU error, but the Panthers tacked on four more runs in the second. Senior Geoff Kayo (Londonderry, N.H.) and junior James Salta (Laconia, N.H.) had run-scoring singles and senior Chris Mansour (Lowell, Mass.) roped a two-run ground-rule double to push the lead to 9-2.
- Goulet launched his fifth home run of the season over the fence in left field to lead off the fifth, but the Devils used a two-out rally to score four times in the bottom half on a two-run triple and a pair of RBI singles.
- Plymouth State came right back with two more in the top of the sixth on a pair of Florham errors to make it a 12-6 game.
- Junior CJ Bilodeau (Richmond, N.H.) drove in a run with a sac fly in the seventh and the Devils scored twice in the bottom of the inning to account for the 13-8 final score.
Inside the Numbers (Game One):
- Goulet finished 2-of-3 with three runs scored and one RBI. Through four games he is batting an absurd .529 (9-for-17) with four doubles, five homers, ten RBI and ten runs scored and a 1.647 slugging percentage.
- Mansour and Salta each reached base three times (two hits, one walk) and drove in two runs.
- The Panthers drew a season high nine walks and swiped ten bags.
- Senior Cam Cossette (Milford, Mass.) allowed six runs (four earned) on five hits and three walks over five innings to pick up the win (1-0). He struck out three. Freshman David Unkles, Jr. (Derry, N.H.) made his collegiate debut, surrendering two runs over his two innings of work.
How it Happened (Game Two):
- The Panthers drew first blood with a three run bottom of the first. Senior Ryan Richard (Berlin, N.H.) tripled and Goulet walked before Boldwin drove them both in with a three-run blast to right.
- The Devils got a run back in the second on an RBI double, but the Panthers answered with Richard’s run-scoring double in the bottom half.
- FDU-Florham put up a four-spot in the third with the big blow coming on a bases loaded, three-run double.
- PSU tacked on a run in the fourth when senior Gavin Cook (Littleton, N.H.), who had doubled to open the inning, came in to score on a passed ball to make it 5-5.
- The Panthers pulled in front in the sixth as both Salta and Goulet drove in runs with sacrifice flies, but Florham rallied in the top of the seventh. With two on and one out, a double down the right field line tied the score and the next hitter smacked a go-ahead single to left to put the Devils in front, 8-7.
- PSU battled to the end, as sophomore Joe Routhier (Nashua, N.H.) doubled down the line with two down to put the tying run in scoring position in the bottom of the frame, but he would be stranded there.
Inside the Numbers (Game Two):
- Richard reached base three times (double, triple, walk), while Boldwin (homer, walk) and Zimolka (single, walk) each reached twice.
- Boldwin drove in three, all on his first inning blast, while Richard, Goulet and Salta each picked up one RBI.
- Goulet has driven in a run in every game this season.
- Sophomore Trevor Delesdernier (Nianic, Conn.) got the start, allowing five runs and five hits while striking out five over three innings of work. Classmate Will Austin (Sunapee, N.H.) struck out three over three scoreless innings.
- Zimolka stole three bases.