College baseball kicks off today
- Updated: February 3, 2023
MANCHESTER – The Saint Anselm College baseball team opens its 2023 season Friday with the start of a three-game road series against the University of North Carolina Pembroke.
Friday’s first pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m., with Game 2 and Game 3 of the series slated for a 1 p.m. first pitch on Saturday and a noon start on Sunday.
The Hawks posted a 22-23 record in 2022 with a 13-11 mark in Northeast-10 Conference play. Saint Anselm qualified for the NE10 postseason as the fourth seed in the Northeast Division, but fell to crosstown rival Southern New Hampshire in the first round. Following the season-opening series with the Braves, the Hawks have a four-game series with Post University from Shipyard Park in Charleston, S.C. between Friday, Feb. 10 and Sunday, Feb. 12.
The Braves suffered a 5-3 loss in the semifinals of the 2022 Conference Carolinas postseason tournament, but received an at-large bid to the NCAA Southeast Regional. The squad saw their season come to a close against the top-ranked program in the country in North Greenville, bringing them to a 38-17 overall record with a 23-7 mark in Conference Carolinas play.
- Saint Anselm was selected fourth in the NE10 Northeast Division of the conference’s annual Preseason Coaches’ Poll. The total of 50 points were good for seventh across the 13 teams that make up the NE10. The Hawks have 50 games scheduled for the 2023 season and will be making their earliest start to the season since 2017.
- The team’s 22 wins last spring were the most since 2012 and are sixth most in a single season. The Hawks set a program record for home runs with 57, breaking a record that stood since 2001. Saint Anselm ranked inside the top-five in team annals in slugging percentage (.456), runs scored (306), doubles (86), runs batted in (274), and strikeouts (303).
- Head coach Jerod Edmondson enters his fourth season at the helm of the baseball program. Edmondson owns a 38-48 overall record and an 18-25 mark in conference contests. The program has made consecutive appearances in the NE10 postseason.
- Saint Anselm returns 28 student-athletes from the 2022 roster and sits at 38 for the 2023 season. Key returners for the Hawks this season include senior Mike Borrelli (Salisbury, Mass.), senior Matt Collins (Beverly, Mass.), senior John Donovan (Lowell, Mass.), senior Brady Doran (Greenville, S.C.), senior Avery Mosseau (Bedford, N.H.), senior Mike Pierro (North Andover, Mass.), junior Zack Clough (Newbury, Mass.), junior Nolan Elmore (Brentwood, N.H.), junior Will Hunter (Middleton, Mass.), junior Matthew Michel (Haverhill, Mass.), and sophomore Adam Betty (Lowell, Mass.).
- Borrelli was selected in January to the NCBWA Preseason All-East Region Team after starting in 41 of 45 games for the Hawks last spring with a .325 batting average, a .400 on-base percentage, and a .649 slugging percentage. As a junior, Borrelli recorded 50 hits with 28 of them going for extra bases. Borrelli drove in 31 runs while scoring 37 times. Borrelli was selected to the NE10 All-Conference First Team last spring.
- Doran, Clough, Collins, Elmore, and Pierro ranked fourth through eighth on the Hawks roster last season in batting average with each student-athlete playing in at least 39 games each.
- Betty posted a team-high 11 starts for the Hawks pitching staff last spring and posted a 4-4 record with a 7.99 earned run average. Betty also registered a team-high 56.1 innings pitched and was second on the squad in strikeouts at 46.
- Michel ranked second on the team in starts with nine while Mosseau and Hunter were tied for the team lead with 14 appearances each on the bump.
SCOUTING UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA PEMBROKE
- The Braves are receiving votes in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association Preseason National Poll and opens the season at No. 13 in the Collegiate Baseball NCAA Division II Poll that was released by BaseballNews.com.
- UNC Pembroke has 52 games on its schedule and will play the first 14 games of its season at home.
- Head coach Paul O’Neil enters his 23rd season for the Braves and returns 18 student-athletes who were a member of the program in 2022. The roster sits at 36 for this season.
- Ethan Ott posted a .345 batting average last season, which was second highest on the roster. Ott started in all 55 games and registered 78 hits, 10 of which were doubles and 10 were home runs, while driving in 52 runs.
- Christian Jayne followed Ott closely with a .341 batting average through 55 games. Jayne collected 74 hits, with 22 of them going for extra bases. Jayne drove in 47 runs while scoring 57.
- Spencer Faulkner, Trent Harris, and Blake Hinson were also key contributors for the Braves offense last season.
- Evan McLean started 11 games for UNC Pembroke and posted a 3.05 earned run average in 56.0 innings pitched. Branden Kunz led the team with 71.1 innings pitched and started a team-high 14 games.
- Will Harris, Chase Jernigan, and Rhett James are also returning for the team, primarily out of the bullpen. All three student-athletes made at least nine appearances last season.
ALL-TIME vs. UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA PEMBROKE
- The three-game series will be the first meetings all-time between the Hawks and Braves.
Those who would like to help New Hampshire Hardball promote baseball in the Granite State can do so by purchasing a New Hampshire Hardball XTRA membership or by making a donation below. Sponsorship inquiries can be sent to email@example.com. Your support is greatly appreciated.