SNHU’s Walkinshaw strikes out 13
- Updated: March 11, 2019
When and Where: March 10, 2019 – Lantana, Fla. (Santaluces Complex)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 9, Caldwell University 2
Records: SNHU 9-3, Caldwell 2-1
Graduate student Jake Walkinshaw (Seymour, Conn.) struck out a career-high 13 batters over eight shutout innings, as the eighth-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team opened its Florida trip with a 9-2 victory over Caldwell University on Sunday afternoon at the Santaluces Complex.
- Walkinshaw (2-0) scattered six hits and did not walk a batter in his stellar outing.
- Junior Jake Coro (Johnston, R.I.) went 3-for-4 at the plate with a walk and two runs scored.
- Grad student John Stanton (Sandwich, Mass.) was 2-for-3 with a walk, RBI and run scored.
- Junior Dylan Faircloth (Cleveland, Texas) also turned in a multi-hit performance, going 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI and a run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern New Hampshire grabbed the game’s first run in the bottom of the first when junior Tom Blandini (Bow, N.H.) drew a leadoff walk, went to second when redshirt-junior Sean Doherty (Haverhill, Mass.) reached on an error, advanced to third on a passed ball and scored on a sacrifice fly to right from sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.).
- The score stayed 1-0 into the fourth when senior Joshua Zbierski (Stafford Springs, Conn.) led off with a doubled and went to third on a wild pitch. After freshman Alex Kennedy (Braintree, Mass.) walked, Stanton came through with a double that made it 2-0 and put a pair in scoring position. Doherty’s two-out double three batters later plated both runs to put the Penmen up, 4-0.
- After retiring the first 12 batters he faced, Walkinshaw escaped a one-out, bases-loaded jam in the fifth with a big strikeout and fly ball to center.
- SNHU added two more in the seventh, with Coro drawing a leadoff walk and Faircloth singling, before an error put both in scoring position. Kennedy came through two batters later with a two-run single that stretched the lead to 6-0.
- Doherty was hit by a pitch to lead off the eighth inning, with Henrie following by working a walk, before an RBI double from Coro and two-run double from Faircloth broke it wide open at 9-0.
- With Walkinshaw out of the game for the ninth, Caldwell finally found the scoreboard, as Luis Rullan’s one-out, two-run single made it 9-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kennedy finished 1-for-1 with a walk, two RBI and a run scored in his Penmen debut.
- Henrie was 1-for-3 with a walk, RBI and a run.
- Doherty (two RBI, run), Zbierski (run) and redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) all went 1-for-4.
- Senior Xavier Czepiel (Southampton, N.J.) relinquished two runs on three hits, striking out a pair and not walking a batter, in an inning of work.
- Southern New Hampshire has won eight of its last nine and two straight.
- Walkinshaw takes over sole possession of fourth place on the program’s all-time wins list with his 18th career victory. He needs just two more wins to move into second place.