Loss ends SNHU’s season
- Updated: June 9, 2021
When and Where: June 8, 2021 – Cary, N.C. (USA Baseball National Training Complex)
Score: Wingate University 3, Southern New Hampshire University 2
Records: SNHU 28-9, Wingate 35-13
Redshirt-junior Alex Gomes (Peabody, Mass.) tossed six solid innings and redshirt-freshman Cam Caraher (Plymouth, Mass.) hit a two-run homer to close the gap in the ninth inning, but the seventh-seeded Southern New Hampshire University baseball team fell to sixth-seeded Wingate University on Tuesday afternoon in its second game of the NCAA Division II Baseball Championship at the USA Baseball National Training Complex.
LINKS: BOX SCORE | PRESS CONFERENCE | SNHU WORLD SERIES CENTRAL
- Gomes (6-1) – 6.0 innings, 7 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 8 strikeouts, 1 walk
- Caraher – 1-1, home run, 2 RBI, run
- Redshirt-junior Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) – 3-4, run
- Redshirt-freshman Christian Mercedes (Providence, R.I.) – 2-3, HBP
- Wingate seized a 2-0 lead in the fifth with a pair of two-out runs, as an RBI double from Logan McNeely and a Jed Bryant run-scoring single did the damage.
- The Bulldogs added a crucial two-out run in the ninth against grad student Nick Artymowicz (Seaville, N.J.), who relieved junior Taylor Lepard (Toronto, Ontario) with a runner on second and allowed an RBI single to Justin Guy that made it 3-0.
- Southern New Hampshire got on the board in the bottom of the ninth when Henrie doubled down the left field line before Caraher hit a two-run bomb to right that made it a one-run game. Wingate made a pitching change and recorded the final two outs.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Lepard was charged with one run on one walk, as he struck out two and did not allow a hit in two-and-two-thirds innings.
- Artymowicz gave up one hit in a third of an inning.
- Grad student Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) finished 1-for-3 and was hit by a pitch.
- Grad student Marcus Chavez (Queens, N.Y.) and redshirt-freshman Michael LaRocca (Vero Beach, Fla.) were both 1-for-4.
- Southern New Hampshire drops to 31-21 (.596) in its ninth NCAA postseason appearance, including 3-6 in its third trip to Cary.
- SNHU, which faced Wingate for the first time in program history, was outscored just 7-5 in its two games at the NCAA Division II Championship.
- All seven runs the Penmen allowed in Cary came with two outs.
- Caraher’s home run was his third of the season and of his career.
- Gomes’ eight strikeouts were his second most in a start this season. He K’d nine at Saint Michael’s College on April 17 in a 14-1 victory.
NCAA Division II Championship
Those who would like to help New Hampshire Hardball promote baseball in the Granite State can do so by purchasing a New Hampshire Hardball membership or by making a donation below. Sponsorship inquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your support is greatly appreciated.