SNHU 5, Adelphi 4
- Updated: May 14, 2022
When and Where: May 13, 2022 – Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field at Assumption University)
Score: #8 Southern New Hampshire University 5, Adelphi University 4
Records: SNHU 40-8, Adelphi 30-12-2
Worcester, Mass. – Senior Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) singled to drive in the winning run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning as No. 8 SNHU beat Adelphi 5-4 Friday in Worcester. The Penmen need one more win on Saturday to claim the Northeast-10 title. Redshirt sophomore Cristian Mercedes (Providence, R.I.) went 2-for-4 with a double, a triple and two RBI for the Penmen.
- Henrie- 1-for-5, game-winning RBI single
- Mercedes – 2-for-4, double, triple, 2 RBI, hit-by-pitch
- Redshirt sophomore Danniel Rivera (New Britain, Conn.) – 2-for-4, HBP, 2 runs
- Redshirt junior Alex Kennedy (Braintree, Mass.) – two-run double
- Redshirt sophomore Brandon White (Simsbury, Conn.) – 5 IP – 6 H – 2 R – 0 ER – 1 BB – 3 K
- Sophomore Trevor Anibal (Bedford, N.H.) – winning pitcher, 4 IP – 4 H – 2 R- 0 ER – 1 BB – 2 K
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Penmen would take a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning. Rivera laced a two-out single, and scored on a double by Mercedes.
- Adelphi tied the game in the fifth, and moved in front 4-1 in the top of the sixth inning, taking advance of three SNHU errors in frame.
- After redshirt sophomore Nick Schwartz (Massapequa, N.Y.) reached on an error in the sixth, redshirt sophomore Cam Caraher (Plymouth, Mass.) walked. Kennedy followed with a double to the gap in left center field to make it 4-3.
- The Penmen tied the game in the seventh. Graduate student Idelson Taveras (Lawrence, Mass.) singled and stole second, scoring on a triple by Mercedes.
- In the ninth, Rivera reached on a two-out single. He stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error. Mercedes followed with a hit-by-pitch, and Henrie then singled to left for the win.
- Henrie’s single was his team-leading 62nd hit of the season, and he also leads the Penmen with 11 homers and 44 RBI.
- Mercedes is now 5-for-13 (.385) in the Northeast-10 Championship. He has five multi-hit games in his last eight starts and is hitting .309 on the season.
- This was the second consecutive start that White did not allow an earned run. For the season, he’s 7-2 with a 2.71 ERA.
- Anibal’s four-inning outing was hit longest since April 2. The first-team All-Conference reliever is 6-0 with a 1.53 ERA in 2022.
- This was the second time this season the Penmen have made six errors in a game and won.
- The Penmen are up to 8th in the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Division II Poll.
- SNHU has won 40 games in a season for the seventh time since 2012, all under Head Coach Scott Loiseau.
- Adelphi has proven to be a worthy opponent this season – the teams have split four games.
- SNHU, the top seed in the Northeast, will advance to a Noon contest Saturday where they will meet the winner of Friday’s elimination game between Adelphi and Assumption.